Monday, June 14, 2010

Name That Weed: June 14, 2010

Look at this weed and tell me is it a desirable or a pest?  Looks can be deceiving.  In fact, this weed has been so successful that I even thought it was cute.  Look at its cool petal formation and the color is to die for.  I'm a sucker for orange flowers I've decided.  So I decided to find out the identity of this tempting plant and to see if I should pull it up or propagate it for others.

Name this weed or desirable and you will be win a prize from Jerry's office.  Deadline is June 21, 2010.  You have one week--so get to work!

3 comments:

  1. My guess would be Yellow Hawkweed. If that is correct, the question of being desirable would be: "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" It does have pretty flowers and isn't classed as a Noxious Weed in Utah. Washington State has a couple hawkweeds on their Class A list, but I don't think this is either of those. I would say, if you like it, keep it, if not irradicate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me it looks like a Noxious Orange Hawkweed.
    If it really is I would eradicate it quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stand corrected. It is Orange Hawkweed and should be "eradicated" (Torn out by the roots) not "irradicated" (Rooted) Thanks for setting me straight Melinda.

    ReplyDelete